Monday, March 2, 2009

This day is given unto me a kitchen to clean...

Welcome, folks! Here it is: the much anticipated (or not, depending on who you are) start to my new blog. I will herewith attempt to come to a better understanding of my music and the goals related to my artistic career through the Zen act of scrubbing my house according to the edicts set forth in the Martha Stewart's Homekeeping Handbook.

The Zen act of cleaning? How is that possible? Well, much like chopping wood and hauling water, cleaning requires little intellectual rigor, and as such, your mind is free to contemplate higher things, while your hands are busy. And so, latex gloves donned, cleaning products at the ready, and a calendar filled with the duties I have assigned to myself, I took on the kitchen, and let my mind wander, trying to force it to keep a constant stream of thoughts on music, songwriting, my upcoming tour, etc. I wavered; I thought of other things. I thought of the news, the unseen detritus of economic meltdown we're all being forced to slug through, my dog, the snow that was on the ground outside (a very odd thing for Atlanta, indeed). I thought of anything but music.

I called to the universe for some help, and lo, it arrived. My dear friend, The Ukulady called for a chat. So, I broke the cleaning, and we talked about upcoming music conferences, and the focusing of our craft. It got me back on track. And so, when she and I finished our pleasant little chitchat, I got back to the scrubbing.

This time, I thought of the future I want for me and my music. Outcome: inconclusive. I mean, come on folks, it's only the first day. Surely something groundbreaking will come tomorrow, but as for now, I have a deeply clean kitchen, and a knowledge that this is going to be harder than I though it was (not that I don't already clean my house on a regular basis, mind you. I am no slob). But, the funny thing is, it's not the cleaning that is going to be difficult, it's the training myself to allow my mind to run free, to catch the muse wherever she is, and to coax her to sit on a stool next to me as I clean whatever happens to be on the list that day.

The day's breakdown:
*Cleaned all surfaces, counter tops, the top of the fridge, the sinks, and the cupboard doors
*Cleaned the microwave, toaster, range, and wiped the inside of the oven
*Flushed the drains with boiling water (don't do this if you have a disposal, folks)
*Got rid of old food in the fridge
*Dusted surfaces and objects (forgot the light fixtures; I hope Martha forgives me)
*Vacuumed the refrigerator coil and grill
*Swept, vacuumed, and mopped the floor
*Did two loads of laundry

According to the daily schedule I'm supposed to make my bed without fail. Alright, so I got to it at 6:30 p.m. Better late than never, dearest readers, and even if it doesn't follow the intent of the law, it certainly follows the letter of it.

Time spent: 2.5 hours.

See y'all tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Wayne, I am in awe.
    I love the idea of directing your Zen-mind. I observe that mindstate when I clean & especially when I garden, but unless I'm directly confronted by a problem I rarely plug into directed creative thinking, but rather just do the no-mind thing. I am already inspired by your practice & looking forward to following what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. vacuumed the refrigerator coil?! i don't even know what that is!! am very much looking forward to reading this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. my favorite is the very neat and organized tea shelf! yes, we have a shelf just for tea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Not today, Gentlemen". Yep, that sums it up. Thanks for the wishful good vibes aimed at my machinery.

    Why does my cat prefer the dirty toilet water over the clean, filtered water in his bowl in the kitchen?

    ReplyDelete